Despite their traditionally healthy image, a lot of muffins these days are basically just cake in disguise, high in sugar and refined carbohydrates with very little nutritional value.
Not these ones though – they’re made with wholemeal flour, oats and plenty of fruit so they’ve got plenty of fibre, B vitamins and minerals. But don’t worry – the kids won’t even notice!
Ingredients (makes around 12 large or 24 mini muffins)
2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1/3 cup caster sugar
2 large bananas, mashed
1 cup milk
90g melted butter or vegetable oil
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup dates, chopped
2 tbsp rolled oats, extra
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Sift flour and mixed spice into large bowl. Stir in sugar.
- Combine banana, eggs, milk and melted butter or oil.
- Add banana mixture to flour and stir until just combined (do not over mix or muffins will be tough). Stir through oats and dates.
- Spoon mixture into greased muffin pans, filling to 3/4 full. Sprinkle with extra rolled oats.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.