The daily grind is hard enough without having to deal with low energy levels and the dreaded afternoon slump. We can all relate to the daily battle of the 3pm caffeine and chocolate cravings. But what and when you eat at work can make a huge difference to your day, helping you to feel more energised and focused so that you can concentrate on work instead of the contents of the vending machine!
Here are some tips to help make the working day a bit easier:
- Regular meals: Keep your energy and concentrations levels high by eating regularly throughout the day, i.e. a meal or snack every 3-4 hours
- Balance: Aim to have a good balance of protein and carbohydrates in your breakfast and lunch. Protein (e.g. lean meat, eggs, reduced fat dairy, beans/legumes) helps to keep you full while carbohydrates (e.g. bread, rice, pasta) provide energy to get you through the day.
- Keep it low: Opt for low GI carbohydrates such as wholegrain bread and crackers, rice, pasta, chickpeas and beans – this will help avoid the 3pm chocolate cravings!
- Hydrate: Make sure you drink plenty of water – try filling up a large bottle at the start of the day and make sure its finished by the time you go home.
- DIY: If possible, take your own lunch and snacks to work – this way you can ensure your meals and snacks are as healthy as possible and you’ll also save money
- Time Out: Make sure you take time out for lunch and take a break from your desk – a quick walk can work wonders!