I think the key to a good salad is a mix of different textures and sweet and salty flavours. This salad has all of this – crunchiness from the apple and hazelnuts, chewiness from the dried figs and the softness of the goat’s cheese alongside the sweetness of the fruit and saltiness of the cheese – salad perfection!
It’s also great for using up leftover rice – I’ve used red rice in this one but you could use brown rice or quinoa or barley too (or a combination).
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 cup red rice, cooked
- 1 apple, finely sliced
- 2 dried figs, roughly chopped
- 1 small handful of hazelnuts, toasted (I do this in the microwave – just place on a plate and cook on high for 20 second intervals until lightly browned) and roughly chopped
- A few sprigs of parsley or coriander, roughly chopped
- 50g goat’s cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- To make the dressing, place all ingredients in a jar, top with a lid and give it a good shake
- In a large bowl, mix together rice, apple, dried figs, hazelnuts and herbs
- Transfer onto serving plates or bowls, crumble over goat’s cheese and pour over dressing